Posted by toadstar on 3:15 PM

More On The British War Against Photography:

Last week I wrote about the British war on photography and how such an attempt to change public perception may effect the participatory panopticon. So I figured who would know better than Jamais Cascio himself. I sent him an email asking him what he thought and he was kind enough to write a response to me. Here it is:



My first blush response is that the initial effect of such regulation is to
drive photography underground, or make surreptitious photography more likely. We
change how we hold cameras, for example, or cameraphones, to make it less
obvious. We use devices harder to identify easily as cameras. That sort of
thing.

I suspect, however, that before that happens we'll see more significant
public pushback on the issue. Right now, the accelerated restrictions on
photography (in the UK primarily, but increasingly in the US) is coming close to
what I've called in the past an "auto-immune society" disorder, where the
measures taken to protect ourselves -- our "immune system" -- end up harming us
more than the threat being responded to.

That is to say, I suspect that we'll correct this problem before it
gets much worse. I hope, at least.

Longer term, these kinds of restrictions become impossible to enforce
without DRM-style controls put into every recording device.

I'll have to think on this some more. Thanks for asking.

Which makes me think that we'll be seeing a lot more of these.

It also begs the question of governments using psyops against their own people as a measure of control. To change public perception by equating photography to pedophilia and terrorism is just another way to reinforce attitudes and behaviors favorable to the watchers' objectives, which is to take away our ability to pushback and bring us back in line with the rest of the sheep.





I love to take pictures of buildings. I love to take pictures of powerlines and street lights-I like the man made artifice against the perfect beauty of nature. I have stood downtown and taken pictures of buildings. Does this simple act make me a terrorist. No, it makes me an artist, a photographer, someone that loves nature and patterns and the marvel of mankind's intellect.

I hope that Jamais is right and we will correct this problem before it gets worse, because there is a whole world out there just begging to be photographed.

0 comments:

Jackson Pollock by Miltos Manetas

Search